Threats we face:
The threats can be lumped into 5 categories but
they often overlap and almost always influence
other threats. Wars increase the threat of
pandemics. Economic collapse can spark
1. Human instigated violence: War, terrorism,
bioterrorism, cyber attacks, dirty bombs and
2. Nature’s threats: Pandemics, Asteroids,
Earthquakes/tsunamis, extreme weather.
3. Environmental threats: Global warming,
Genetically modified organisms, species
extinction, toxic wastes…
4. Economic threats: Depression,
Recession, global economic collapse,
5. International crime: Genocide, illegal
immigration, prostitution, drugs…
Each of these threats is greatly effected (both
positive and negative ways) by several factors:
1. Dual use nature of all technology….
2. Traditional pitfalls of dealing with global
Reality: The Trilemma.